Thứ Sáu, 4 tháng 6, 2010

Repost: Lifestyle Magazine's interview


Lifestyle Magazine - Writer Nguyen Thien Ngan FINISHING A SHORT STORY ALMOST EXHAUSTS MY ENERGY


She wished to be a painter when she was a little girl, but she was driven to literature by chance. At the age of 17, Thien Ngan came first in the short stories writing contest ‘Teens’ Faces’ hosted by Muc Tim Magazine in 2005, and her stories have been posted regularly on Ao Trang, Tuoi Tre, Thanh Nien, Sinh Vien VN, etc from then on. What is waiting ahead for her is ‘a long way to go’.

Hi, young writer. What would you say in two minutes about yourself?
Two minutes might be too much. My full name is Nguyen Thien Ngan. I will be 21 years old this October. I am now a senior at the faculty of Literature and Languages. I have already had four collections of short stories and one of long stories published. I write stories in computers and compose verses on paper. And I wish I could swim.

It is heard that ‘A long way to go’ is about to be republished. You must get some positive signs from the young readers?
Well, actually it has been republished already. I’m also alert to the readers’ feedbacks. Everything left on my blog and every email does count for me. I’m delighted that my readers can find something special in my works.

You once said you are pleased with the collection the most among your works. Is the main character the personification of you yourself? This guy is completely taken by adventures and writing, also romantic and somewhat impulsive, just like you? (Grinning)
‘A long way to go’ is really special to me as it is the first time ever I have composed a long story. Almost every N’s experience is the one that I’ve undergone myself, like the way he takes, the town he lives in, the people he meets. N is just part of my twenties.

I read ‘Symphony No.9’, ‘The other side of mountain’, or ‘The clear umbrella’ when I was a student. Your writing style sounds soft and innocent, but pretty profound, which gives the readers some peace of mind. Are you under the influence of any idol author?
I enjoy reading works by different authors, but none of them has become my idol. In literary works or any other kinds of art, I don’t believe the existence of the primitive things. ‘There is nothing new in the sun’, as my teacher always reminds. People have existed on earth for millions of years and have loved for thousands of times. And there are countless writers in the world. How brave you would be if you claimed your tales and styles to be unique. What you believe to be particularly novel may already exist somewhere else in the globe. So to establish your distinctive style among common composing materials is the thing a writer should do. I have been taking and will take that road.

How was your first work born?
It was the summer when I was 15 and about to start grade 10. One free evening, I decided to try composing a short story, which was then given to some peers and adults for their opinions. They all tentatively commented that my tone was ok, but the plot was slightly illogical. I was offended then, but I find it really illogical when I read it later.

You must have harbored the dream of being a writer during your childhood?
Actually I wished for different things when I was younger. To be a writer is one of them. To be honest, my biggest dream was to be a painter.

Lots of writers and poets are inspired by journeys to far-flung corners. How about you?
Journeys can always help us all, not only writers, escape the tedious routines of daily life and be as free as the air. Not only the stuffs discovered on my way trigger fresh ideas on my minds, but I see familiar things by sharp sight and open soul. This fills me with abundant inspiration for life and writing.

Your short stories’ characters are all ‘introverts with personality’ as writer Nguyen Dong Thuc once gave comments. That’s why I sometimes note that you look older than you are. What do you think?
Well, I don’t think the youth never lead an introvert and profound life with some personality. (Grinning)

Besides composing short stories, you also have the bulk of poems. Stories and verse, which do you prefer?
While I am almost exhausted by a short story, I free myself of anxiety by a poem. To me, writing a story is a real business whereas composing poems seems a joy. My preference for either of them depends on when I write it.

Almost 21 years of age, you have up to 5 titles of your own and work as a co-author of several different collections. Should you fall asleep amid success?
What you just listed are merely ‘results’, not ‘success’, of my work. So I’m not going to fall asleep there.
The last question, can you tell a little about your intentions for the near future?
I’m going to get started with a new work, planning and saving up for a long journey after my university graduation. I have dreamt of Mongolia for ages.

Box:
Nguyen Thien Ngan’s published works:
• A long way to go (Youth Publishing House)
• The sun house (Women’s Publishing House)
• A couple of rattan bracelets (Saigon Culture Publishing House)
• Two chained bikes (Kim Dong Publishing House)
• Raining streets (Kim Dong Publishing House)